The Road Trip Digest
San Diego to Seattle by Alex and Josh
A West Coast USA Road Trip is one of the classic American road trips. This summer, ARDO Living has collaborated with the California Model and Content Creation Couple Alex and Josh to travel from San Diego to Seattle, stopping along the coast on the way, and experiencing the great American coast. Magnificent views, laid-back towns, vineyards, Van life, you name it!
Any great trip is worth taking its time over, so here we have put together some highlights from Alex and Josh’s Van life trip to give you guys some inspiration!
Where to go:
The best time for a west coast road trip is from April to September. You’ll have drier weather during this time and be able to enjoy your stops outside more. The Pacific Coast Highway only runs from San Diego to Mendocino in California — the full stretch from San Diego to Seattle is Highway 1/ Highway 101. There will be plenty of opportunities to find hidden spots!
WEST COAST ROAD TRIP PACKING LIST
Make sure you are well-prepared for your road trip before you leave. Here are a few essentials we recommend for the trip:
1. USB Car Chargers- Always keep your phone and camera charged at all times so you will be ready to use them when you stop
2. Snacks- To prevent you from crashing, stay fueled with healthy snacks like mixed nuts or granola bars in the Van
3. Water Bottle- Always keep yourself hydrated while you travel, a lot of cafes and restaurants will be more than happy to fill up your water bottle
4. Skateboard- Don’t forget your skateboard! Show off your skills when you are hopping from the skate park to skate park
5. Short and long leash- A lot of places and tourist destinations require your furry friend to be leashed no longer than a certain distance. Bring a short and long leash so you have options depending on the activity
6. Disposable camera- Try traveling the path less taken by bringing a disposable camera on your next trip. The developed pictures are beautifully vintage
7. Phone holder- Essential to keep your phone screen in view while using Google Maps or navigation tools, without moving or needing any hand adjustments while driving
8. ARDO Home Coat- How to stay warm and cozy in your camper van? The Home Coat is what you need. It’s perfect for both slow mornings and coming back from a surf session. The ARDO Home Coat is made with sustainable bamboo rayon and is the way to help you dress effortlessly and a little more comfortably and luxurious while you’re on the road.
ALEX AND JOSH’S FAVORITE ROAD TRIP SPOT:
1. REDWOODS NATIONAL PARK, CA
Redwoods National Park includes a string of state parks and other forests, making the park itself a kind of road trip! Along the way are tons of redwood-themed roadside attractions, including classic drive-thru trees. The Redwood National Park is the perfect spot to connect with magnificent living trees and explore the natural wonders of the world. The redwood trees tower over 200 feet tall and can live for more than a thousand years.
Navigate your way through a handful of scenic self-guided trails as you take in the beauty of the breathtaking nature reserve!
2. MENDOCINO, CA
Located north of the famous wine regions of Napa and Sonoma, this laid-back area is one of California’s best-kept secrets.
Mendocino is known for its world-class wine and stunning coastal views. Mendocino town is one of the prettiest seaside towns in California, its simple grid of streets is lined with historic wooden houses and pretty restaurants and shops. The narrow trails also lead out to cliff walks and down to sandy coves, you are never far from an incredible panorama.
3. LAKE TAHOE, CA
The exceptional scenery makes Lake Tahoe look more like a sea than a lake. Straddling the border of California and Nevada and completely surrounded by alpine mountains and pebble stacks, just witnessing this natural wonder is an experience in itself. There are plenty of things to do here. Summertime is the perfect time to swim, kayak or go hiking around the lake.
3 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD GO ON A ROAD TRIP
1. Discover things about yourself.
Road trips seem to turn on the “introspective” part of your brain. You learn about how you react to different situations, learn about yourself, and how you relate to people when you’re not stressed.
2. You will make unforgettable memories.
Create memories that will carry you through all the ups and downs in life.
3. It will change your perspective.
It’s the experience where you will meet new people, see new places, and learn new things. You will slow down and appreciate the beauty of nature and our love for life.